Center for Balance
Feeling dizzy? Lose your balance while standing? Had more than one fall in the past year? The Center for Balance at Bayshore Community Hospital can help
With a specialized team of medical practitioners performing diagnostic tests on all aspects of your balance system, they will determine causes of dizziness and equilibrium related difficulties, and design an individualized treatment plan to restore your mobility and function.
Balance Training Program and Vestibular Rehabilitation
Through this customized program, you will partake in various types of physical rehabilitation with a goal of preventing future falls that could lead to life-altering health complications. Training focuses on exercises designed to heighten kinesthetic body awareness, improve coordination, and increase strength and endurance.
• Flexibility training
• Trunk and lower extremity strengthening
• Gaze stabilization training
• Standing, dynamic, and ambulation balance training
• Movement safety tips
• Visual, vestibular, and musculoskeletal integration training
What is the Balance System?
Comprised of three main parts, all controlled by the brain, the body’s balance system provides sensory information about one’s surroundings, position of the body in space, and how the body is moving. These key balance components are:
• Eyes: incorrect visual information relayed to the brain can give a sense of imbalance or false motion.
• Muscles: the strength and agility of the muscles of the trunk and lower extremities are essential to maintaining balance.
Do You Experience These Symptoms?• Difficulty getting out of a chair or bed
• Vertigo or dizziness
• Loss of balance while standing
• Tinnitus or hearing loss
• Difficulty walking on inclined surfaces
• Numbness in legs
• Double vision or blurred vision
If so, talk to your doctor about whether a balance assessment may be right for you.
- Bayshore Community Hospital
727 North Beers Street, Holmdel, NJ 07733
Find a Physician
Looking for a physician in your area? By using our Physician Directory, you can search for a New Jersey physician by specialty, facility, town, and zip code right now.